Tuesday 23 June 2009

3000 Ukemi Challenge

I am training for Mark Walsh's 3000 ukemi challenge in about 10 weeks time. It involves roughly about 7.5 hours of taking ukemi which will be challenging, to say the least, but I think I can do it.

I think there'll be alot to learn from this experience and it's a good way to test my aikido and aerobic stamina. In preparation I have added some more strenuous exercises to my morning routine and some skipping to increase my aerobic ability. I also want to try and bulk up if possible to give myself some more reserves but I don't know if this is possible, I don't eat meat and have pretty much remained about nine and a half stone for some years now.

My routine currently stands as :

3 sets of maka ho stretching, 3 times
40 tucks of various forms
30 press ups
2 sets of hip and spine stretches
20 one leg squats
100 saburi (sword cuts)
15 mins skipping

I have stopped meditating for the moment as I actually found it was causing psychological problems for me, very odd, but I feel better not meditating at the moment. At least, not sitting to meditate specifically. I have been using Thich Nhat Hahn's suggestions of meditating while washing the dishes, walking, climbing stairs etc. Mindfullness.

Incidentally I am looking for sponsorship for the 3000 Ukemi Challenge, in aid of Aiki Extensions...

No comments:

Post a Comment